Friday 4 May 2012

Relaunched: Prologue

Installing a Bilge Pump 
After having coated the keel and the new centre-plate so that they never get in contact with water, Mekicevica can now safely stay in the water throughout the year.
For the sake of my peace of mind, I decided to install an automatic bilge-pump... which saved Mekicevica from floundering just a few days after installation. Was that 100 quid well-spent or what!? Read-on.
I found the best way to install a bilge-pump is in the lowest, forward part of the bilge. This involved raising the the front part of the floor boards by about 1in, so they they slope up towards the front. You really only notice it when you sitting on the loo, because now there is a little step there. The hose goes under the floor boards, behind the shelving under the companion-way, and discharges into the centre-plate box, well above the water-line. I needed to cut a hole in the back part of the shelving, but after all is assembled you would have to look carefully to notice anything.
Sketch of Mekicevica's bilge-pump set-up. (Click image for larger view.)

New Centre-Plate - Coup de Teatre 1
Thursday, 26th of April and the newly coated keel is installed with the new centre-plate. All has been generously coated with anti-fouling (including my clothes). The boat-lift is booked for tomorrow and I am doing the last checks. Does the new centre-plate still raise and lower smoothly? It comes up with a bit of scratching noises and... it is well stuck!
I think the boat-yard guys were a bit over generous with the Sikaflex and the polyester and some of it is bulging inside of the centre-plate box and now the centre plate is well stuck. No amount of pulling from underneath seems to help. I finally manged to release the centre-plate by sticking a broom stick from the top and hitting with a mallet.
Carefully pushing up again I find that I can nose raise the centre-plate fully. It sticks about 10 cm. I don't dare to push it in further, least it gets jammed again.
What the hell, it has to stay like this. It will make falling dry on mud a bit tricky, but how often have we done that? In the water she goes.

Launching 1st Try - Coup de Teatre 2
Friday 27th of April. The boat lift is booked for the unchristian time of 8am, which means I have to get up at 0530 to be there on time. Mekicevica is already hanging from the slings, and I did the last bits of anti-fouling.
Stepping the mast with the crane is easier than by hand, but not less nerve-wracking. With trembling hands I go thought the usual fiddling with the standing rigging. The boat lift operator is in a hurry because he has to launch a 40 footer next, so we lower Mekicevica to the water and I tie up at the pontoon to continue preparing the rigging.
The new bilge-pump starts working which for a moment pleases me - it works.
Hey, wait a minute! Why is the bilge pump working?
I lift the floor boards and find water sloshing there, and coming in fast. I shout to the boat-yard guys: "She is leaking! Badly."
Mekicevica has to lifted out again, and the owner of the Bavaria 40 will have to wait a few minutes longer.
It turns-out that my enthusiastic use of the mallet to release the centre-plate has slightly split the joint of the box and water was gushing in.

Launching 2nd Try
One week later, the gap in the centre-plate has been sealed and Mekicevica, now with standing mast, is ready to be launched again. This time I managed to book the crane for a more decent time, but when I get there the operator is already waiting for me.
The launching goes smoothly, and this time the bilge pump stays quiet. There is a bit water in the bilges but it is fresh water. I dry everything up and wait a few minutes.
Damned! There is still a small trickle of water from the centre-plate box. Out she goes again!