Sunday 26 October 2014

Beginning of Winter Projects

First task was to build a new mast support. The one I had last year was designed for allowing to steer under motor with the mast down. Unfortunately it more or less broke to bits. So I am giving up that idea. When the time comes for Mekicevica to escape the cold of the North and journey to the sunshine through the French canals I will get something professionally done in stainless steel.
And here is the mast support mark IV.
Simple but it works. The biggest problem became obvious when lowering the mast: it is not high enough and the boom attachment hit the deck before the mast was resting on the support. Luckily Mekicevica is parked near a container (visible in the photo) and we saved the situation by having First-Mate standing on the container and holding the mast while I released the mast foot.
I'll need to find a solution for when we want to step the mast again.