Friday 8 July 2011

Sailing Into the "Randstad" - Prologue: Cycling and Sailing

Another weekend of sailing, the last before the planned two week trip towards the Ijsselmeer. Mekicevica is also getting bored with Middelharnis, and  it is high time we moved on.
Friday I went to leave the car at our next destination: Papendecht, across the river from the better known town of Dordrecht. Again without map or GPS I headed up to find this small town. It was surprisingly easy, and I even found free parking near the yacht harbour.
The return by bicycle was less straightforward. Bear in mind that my knowledge of the area comes from studying sailing charts. I can locate most rivers and towns with a harbour, but the inland is unknown territory to me.
So I ended-up taking a long way along the Dordsche Kil over the Hollandse Diep with the bridge between Willemsdorp and Moerdijk, passing by Willemstad, over the Volkeraksluizen, and along the Harigvliet passing Den Bommel, Stad aan 't Haringvliet, and finally Middelharnis.
Cycling and sailing: the routes connecting Middelharnis to Papendrecht. (Click for larger view.)
Three hours cycling for a longer variation of the route we were to sail in two days. Either way as enjoyable and environment-friendly... except for the motor-sailing bits, as you can read in the following posts.