Monday 6 July 2015

Sun-Worshiping on the Krabbenkreek

This part of the world is in the grip of a terrible heat-wave. Very pleasant weather, in my humble opinion. Except when the warm weather brings summer storms with gusty winds, heavy rain, hail, lighting, fire and brimstone.

Friday 3rd of July: Single-handed to Sint-Annaland
On Friday I get on my motorbike, ride to Bruinisse and soon Mekicevica and soon we were motoring towards the Grevelingen lock. It was a longish wait, and then I could observe the  usual spectrum of skippers' behaviour, ranging from I-really-have-to-jump-this-queue-even-if-I-wreck-my-boat to I-really-don't-know-what-I-am-doing-so-I'd-better-go-very-slowly. Luckily I tied up to my favourite type, the one I aspire to be: I-have-seen-it-all-before-and-I-keep-my-cool-in-every-situation.
After the lock I unfurled the Big Genny and let the tide and the gentle, NW breeze push us down the Mastgaat. Plan A was to gybe, turn into the Krabbenkreek and stop at Sint-Annaland. It almost didn't happen because there was so much shipping traffic that it seemed impossible to cross the shipping lane. Eventually, just as I was starting to consider plan B (Stavenisse) there was a lull in the traffic and I could cross into the peaceful Krabbenkreek. All in all it was a pleasant but short trip.
First-Mate joined in the evening for dinner al-fresco.

Saturday 4th of July: Lazy day on the Krabbenkreek
A very warm and sunny day, with moderate W wind. We decided to ride wind and tide up the Krabbenkreek, find a nice spot and just enjoy the nice weather. The sailing was far too fast, even if I kept shortening the genoa trying to slow down. In front of Sint-Phillipsland we found a vacant mooring buoy, tied to it and prepared to spend the rest of the day doing nothing.
We had memories of this place as peaceful. Well, obviously not in nice weather when the local lads keep zooming past in speedboats. That didn't prevent us from enjoying the weather and even going for a short swim in the pleasantly warm water: 23 C!
The W wind kept building-up, so the return to Sint-Annaland at the end of the day was on motor and feeling very much like Hvar, returning home feeling the sun and salt on our skin and motoring against the late afternoon maestrale.
To finish the day perfectly we had a delicious dinner of fish at the clubhouse.

Sunday 5th of July: Motoring back to Bruinisse
On Sunday morning, the Krabbenkreek was like a mirror. Now and then there was a very light breeze but from the NW, completely the wrong direction for us. We wouldn't have minded spending the day trying to sail in light air conditions, The only problem was that the weather forecast was warning of heavy squalls, with strong wind gusts from late morning. So we just motored all the way to Bruinisse.
We still had time to go into town for a light lunch of raw haring before the squalls started.

Another great weekend on Mekicevica. Not a lot of sailing but plenty of nice weather.